Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Most Sacred...

...time of the week is when we are seated at the Sacrament Table renewing our baptismal covenants or in the Temple.  I understand that taking the Sacrament means that we also renew all covenants made in the Temple.  What a sacred weekend this has been and I put it out there so that you can replicate it for yourselves.  I worked in the Temple (Wash DC) yesterday and participated in a duty that I haven't done in a couple of years, namely officiating at a session.  I also got to participate in an "own initiatory" for the first time.  For those unfamiliar with the things of Mormondom, they are sacred ordinances (you can find them in the Bible)  restored to the earth through the prophet, Joseph Smith.

I must tell you that there are so many things that we engage in in this life that are necessary--job, eating, sleeping, travel from one activity to the next--but there are very few things that bring peace to the soul and a direct connection with Heaven. When you discover these, it is worth talking about.  The Temple is one place where this happens.  LDS scholar, Hugh Nibley stated that so many attend the Salt Lake Temple everyday, even before work, that there has to be something there.  He stated that he has been attending all his life.  If he attended five times and nothing happened, he would stop attending! But he has never stopped. He said this near the end of his 95 years.  He said he was never disappointed.  There was always a new spiritual experience to have, a new set of impressions that brought him nearer to his Savior.  I am only 67.  I feel that way now and have always been fulfilled.  I have never been disappointed. 

Today, I took Ava and Sebastian to their ward (Doylestown Ward in the Philadelphia PA Stake) and felt those feelings and impressions all over again--the renewing of covenants witnessed just yesterday.  (I say witnessed because as workers, we don't actually make them.  We are there to guide others through the ceremonies where they make them.)  It is worth the sacrifice of worldly things.  Go to the Temple.  Prepare yourself in whatever way necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment